It's important for prospective students and their families to gather as much information as possible when trying to select the high school that best fits their needs. Here at St. Vincent-St. Mary, it is our pleasure to help you through this process by providing many opportunities to visit our school, meet our students and staff, and see all that we have to offer! You are invited to attend our Open Houses, our Parent Information Sessions, and our Parish School Gatherings.
Eighth graders and transfer students are encouraged to join us for an "Irish for a Day" shadow visit. Shadow visits may be scheduled from October 2-December 6. Contact the Admissions Office at (330) 253-9113 ext. 115 to schedule a visit.
Begin the Process
You will begin the admissions process by taking the STVM Scholarship/Placement test. All 8th graders interested in attending St. Vincent-St. Mary are required to take one of our scholarship/placement tests (HSPT).
Register for a Scholarship/Placement test today! Parent information sessions were held on Fall testing dates. Eighth graders may take our scholarship/placement test one time only. The test is based on knowledge acquired through the 8th grade so it's important that students continue to work diligently in their classes.
- Test fee: $20 – cash or checks (made payable to STVM) will be collected at the door on testing day
- Bring TWO sharpened #2 pencils
- No calculators permitted
- We administer the HSPT (High School Placement Test) which covers mathematics, English, and reading. This test is used to determine academic placement in 9th grade classes (Honors or College-Prep) and is also used to determine the recipients of our Irish Academic Scholarships.
- We offer an academic scholarship to each of the top 30 scorers based solely on their performance on our scholarship/placement test. Notification of the Irish Academic Scholarship was given in late November.
Admissions Criteria for 9th Grade Enrollment:
- Admissions Application
- Two Teacher Recommendation forms
- Copies of seventh and eighth grade (first semester) transcripts that include grades, standardized test scores (Iowa Basics, OATs, etc.), attendance, and behavior records.
- Special Education students only - Copy of IEP and ETR. Please provide a copy of each to our Admissions Office. Our Intervention Team will review these documents to determine availability of services.
Catholic Elementary School Applicants (eighth graders)
Eighth graders who attend Catholic elementary schools will be given a Diocesan application at their school during Catholic High School Selection Week, January 16-19, 2018.
- You will complete and return the application to your eighth grade teacher by Friday of that week. Once you return your application, the application and your seventh and eighth grade records will be forwarded to your "first-choice" high school.
- We also require two completed Diocesan Teacher Recommendation forms, which will be provided by your eighth grade teacher.
Public or Private Middle School Applicants (eighth graders)
Interested students who attend a private or public middle school will receive the St. Vincent - St. Mary High School application and two blank STVM Teacher Recommendation forms after they take one of our scholarship/placement tests, or you may click the links below.
- We ask that you return the STVM High School application by mid-January 2018 in order to be considered for enrollment for ninth grade. We will contact your current school and request your records.
- In addition, you must have two of your current teachers complete STVM Teacher Recommendation forms as soon as possible. Ask your teachers to return the completed forms to STVM Admissions by mid-January 2018.
Acceptance to STVM is based on your meeting our requirements after a review of your academic achievement and records. We look for students who are well-rounded; who are hard-working, leaders by example, and are motivated to receive a challenging and fulfilling Catholic high school education. STVM decision letters will be mailed on February 14, 2018 for Catholic elementary students and by the end of February for those public/private school students who have met our admissions requirements and deadlines.
For more information, or to be added to the St. Vincent-St. Mary High School mailing list, contact us:
Amy Bisesi Barcelo VM06
Director of Admissions
(330) 253-9113 ext. 115