At St. Vincent-St. Mary, our counselors are invested in our students in many different ways. One of the ways in which they offer their services is to form groups that help to create a positive, uplifting, and encouraging environment in the hallways and in the classroom. Listed below are the counselor-led groups that are available at STVM: Gay-Straight Alliance, Grief Group, Purpose Driven Life Group, and ROX (Ruling Our Experiences).
The STVM gay-straight alliance is an alliance of both gay and straight students, as well as faculty, united by our commitment to promoting acceptance and compassion in our school community. We are dedicated to promoting the dignity of all students and fostering a sense of solidarity. We hope to be a sign in the school community to all students who feel disconnected/alienated, especially lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, and transgender (LGBT) students, reminding them that they are not alone. As a group we will meet regularly to provide an opportunity for discussion and support.
- Provide a safe, supportive environment for lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, transgender students
- Work to create a school environment free of harassment, discrimination, and intolerance
- Support one another, share resources, learn, and have fun!
- Marianist Social Justice Teachings: Addressing LGBT Issues with Youth
- Building a Bridge: How the Catholic Church and the LGBT Community Can Enter Into a Relationship of Respect, Compassion, and Sensitivity
- This book is also available to check out in Mrs. Zinke's office.
- College Guide for LGBTQ Students
All meeting start times are at 7:30 AM and will conclude at 7:55 AM
September: 13, 27
October: 4, 25
November: 1, 29
January: 10, 31
March: 14, 28
May: 2, 23
Meeting Place: Room 256
Advisor: Mrs. Laura Zinke
Every year counselors will meet with a group of students who have lost a parent or close family member to process grief and promote healing. Students will meet with the counselors to discuss the following:
- Stages of Grief
- Personal sharing with group
- Witness from staff member who has lost a parent
- Art therapy project
ROX (Ruling Our Experience)
In the 2018-2019 school year Mrs. Boarman and Mrs. Zinke will be running a girls empowerment group for a select number of students. For more information about the group, visit the Ruling Our Experiences website. Also, you can download the Girls Index, new insights into the complex world of today's girls.
Equip girls with the knowledge and skills necessary to live healthy, independent, productive and violence-free lives.
Create generations of confident girls who can control their own relationships, experiences and decisions.
Provide innovative, relevant and evidence-based programming that contributes to a safer, accessible and equitable world for girls.