Seven STVM Students Receive Highest Rating at 2020 Virtual State Science Day Competition
Jun 22, 2020
Eleven STVM students advanced to the 2020 virtual State Science Day recently after their performances at the district level competition. Seven of the eleven students scored the highest rating of superior.
Students who earned a "Superior" rating:
Juniors: Lucy Chmura, Abby May, & Matthew Yatsko
Sophomores: Laney King, Xavier Vesco, Jimmy Warholy & Lukas Werckman
Students who earned an "Excellent" rating:
Junior: Andrew Ciccotelli
Sophomores: Luke Gegick, Nicholas May & Amelia Moll
Special Awards & Scholarships
Several students won special awards and/or scholarships at the 2020 State Science Day competition!
- Lucy Chmura
- 3rd place - American Chemical Society Columbus Section - Chemical Sciences Award ($200)
- Abby May
- 2nd place - Geological Award from the Ohio Geological Society ($300) along with a one-year membership to The Ohio Geological Society
- 2nd place - Ohio Soybean Bioscience Award ($500)
- The Bobcat Tuition Scholarship in Biological Sciences - consisting of $500 for four years at Ohio University
- Laney King
- Honorable Mention - Believe in Ohio STEM Entrepreneurship Award ($25)
- 4th place - The Governor’s Thomas Edison Award for Advanced Materials ($250 scholarship for any Ohio college)
- Jimmy Warholy
- Awarded the Stone Laboratory Scholarship to attend a week-long summer course through The Ohio State University at Put-in-Bay.
This group of students did an amazing job representing St. Vincent-St Mary High School. They stepped up and put in the extra work to make their experiences successful at State Science Day! Congratulations to all of our science students for their hard work, effort, and dedication. We are Irish Proud!