STVM Model U.N. Team Brings Home the Gold at State Competition
Apr 04, 2017
This past weekend, St. Vincent-St. Mary earned yet another state championship. Congratulations to the Model United Nations team, who competed in over 20 hours of competition over three days to bring home the gold for the Irish. This victory represents St.Vincent-St.Mary’s Model United Nations Team’s third consecutive win at the annual Ohio State University Model United Nations Conference.
Prior to 2017, the team has been classified as a Small Delegation, meaning that twelve or less students competed. However, for the first time, STVM was able to field a team of eighteen prepared and competitive delegates, resulting in them having to compete against the best of the best for the prestigious Best Large Delegation Award.
Through countless hours of research, endless support from our advisor and teachers, and an unwavering amount of unity, STVM was able to win an unprecedented amount of individual awards securing the team the Best Large Delegation Award.
Individual Awards were:
- Fiona Gaffney winning Best Delegate, in the Ad-Hoc Committee of the Secretary-General;
- Mike Chmura winning Best Delegate in the American Civil War,
- Vince Glidden winning Best Delegate in the Food Security Council;
- Ryan Smith winning Outstanding Delegate in the Conflict in the Ogaden: Somali Cabinet;
- Alex Oliverio winning Outstanding Delegate in the American Civil War;
- Michael Dianetti winning Honorable Mention in the Conflict in the Ogaden: Ethiopian Cabinet;
- Alex Albanese winning Honorable Mention in the Iran Crisis 1953;
- Ryan Thune winning Honorable Mention in the Suez Canal Crisis;
- Cydnee Livingston winning Verbal Commendation in the Conflict in the Ogaden: Somali Cabinet;
- Caroline Pier winning Verbal Commendation in the Food Security Council;
- Alexia Peart winning Verbal Commendation in the Food Security Council.
Other members of the team include Owen Presper, Olivia Gupta, Madison Glenn-Lawson, Allie Tomaszewski, Alice Mason, Olivia Janolo, and Alex Kiehnau; All of whom played an important role in the success of the team this weekend.
The St. Vincent-St. Mary Model United Nations Team has achieved a goal that is highly uncommon in the Model UN community. We have officially finished the 2016-2017 season undefeated, continuing a nine conference winning streak dating back to November of 2015.
The team is extremely grateful for all of the support given to us by the St. Vincent-St. Mary school and community and would like to thank our dedicated advisor Ruby Kofsky and team president and only graduating senior Alex Oliverio for leading our team to such unprecedented victory and getting us to the point where we have stopped calling ourselves a team; instead referring to each other as family.