Get Set for College - Senior Year
Download the Senior Seminar PowerPoint presentation by the college counselors.
- Notify guidance office if you have registered for the NCAA Clearinghouse - If you haven't registered already-do so ASAP! That is, if you plan to play Division 1 or Division II sports. You can register at www.ncaaclearinghouse.org.
- Attend College/Tech Fair at St. Vincent-St. Mary in October. Representatives from about 100 colleges will be available providing information and answering questions for students and parents.
- Career Connections Fair for all students Career Connections is an opportunity for current STVM students to explore career options and gain knowledge about careers from professionals in our own community.
- Student will have an individual conference with their college counselor in September/October.
- Register for the September/October ACT if still needed. Take SAT Subject tests and/or ACT Writing if required and if you have not already done so. St. Vincent-St. Mary college code 360090.
- Finish resumes and/or activities sheets in September and give a copy to the college counselors.
- Begin asking teachers for letters of recommendation in October - give them at least two weeks to write them for you.
- Turn in all completed applications to college counselors no later than November 19, before Thanksgiving Break.
- Remember to continue to maintain good grades. Colleges often ask for 1st Semester senior grades when determining acceptance and scholarship allocations.
- Search for scholarships - check the Scholarship Board outside guidance office, STVM website, other websites online such as www.Fastweb.com, local organizations, etc.
- Fill out FAFSA on-line any time after January 1, 2017.
- Financial Aid Night for seniors and parents will be on Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 7:00 pm in room 256. Every parent of a senior is strongly encouraged to attend.
- Notify the college you will be attending that you are coming by sending in tuition/housing deposits if required. Notify the colleges you have been accepted to, but won't be attending-that you are not coming. Do so by mail or phone. This is common courtesy and will get them to stop contacting you.
- Turn in a copy of the acceptance letter you receive from the college you will be attending to the college counselors. Also give the counselors a copy of all scholarships you have been offered - even if you are not accepting those particular scholarships. This is for the end of school graduation program so that we can recognize you for the scholarships that you have won. Please turn all of this in to us in April.
- As always, if you have any questions or concerns please contact the college counselors, Mrs. Taylor and Mrs. Miller, at 996-0023.