What is Academic Challenge?
Academic Challenge is a team-based competition involving topics ranging from Math, Science and Literature to Music and Pop Culture. Students typically compete in teams of four through a variety of different rounds.
Who can Participate?
Academic Challenge is open to students of all grade levels and interests.
When do we meet and when do we compete?
Practices are held weekly after school on Fridays in Mrs. Dedinsky's classroom (Room 233). In the Fall, SCAL Meets take place on Mondays at various schools in Summit County starting around 4PM and going for a few hours. There is a tournament every year at Kent State University to wrap up the SCAL year on a Monday in February. Invitational meets take place on Saturdays throughout the school year and we compete in a few of these each year.
Who do we compete against?
The team competes against teams from schools from all over the state of Ohio (and throughout the U.S.) Competitions, etc. that we have attended in the past:
- Summit County Academic Challenge League (SCAL) Local Matches
- SCAL Tournament at Kent State University
- Ohio Academic Challenge Regionals
- Invitational Tournament at Cloverleaf High School
- Invitational Tournament at Copley High School
- Invitational Tournament at Firestone High School
- Great Lakes Regional Academic Challenge Tournament (John Carroll University)
- Qunlimited Nationals near Chicago, Illinois
- WEWS televised Academic Challenge Series
The team has done very well over the past few years advancing to OAC Regionals, placing in the top ten teams on the televised Academic Challenge Competition and advancing to a National Competition outside of Chicago.
Advisor: Mrs. Sarah Dedinsky
Meeting Time: Fridays, 3:10-4:00
Meeting Place: Room 233